The new Square reader connects wirelessly with Bluetooth Low Energy (Bluetooth LE). Be sure you have the latest version of the Square app for your device.
Please note: The wireless connection can be lost if the reader and device are more than 10 feet apart.
To connect your reader:
- Press and release the button on your reader to turn it on.
- Go to your device settings and make sure Bluetooth is turned on.
- Open the Square app and tap More from the navigation bar at the bottom of your screen.
- Tap Settings > Hardware > Card Readers > Connect a Reader.
- Put your reader into pairing mode by pressing the reader’s button for three to five seconds. Remove your finger as soon as you see orange flashing lights. If you see red flashing lights, you’ve held the button too long and you’ll need to try again.
- In the app, a pairing confirmation will appear, make sure to tap Pair to complete the pairing process.
- On Android devices, quickly tap Pair and Pair & connect each time you are prompted until the connection is successful. If the connection fails, start the pairing process over and make sure to accept all Pair and Pair & connect prompts within 5 seconds.
Note: Due to extended security measures, some Android devices will require multiple confirmations during the pairing process. We apologize for any inconvenience and are actively working with Android to help make this process easier.
When connected, you will see the reader listed as Ready in the Square app.
Any necessary firmware updates will be automatically installed once the reader has been connected.
Note: Processing payments in Offline Mode is currently unavailable with the Square Reader for contactless and chip.
Keep in mind, if you are reconnecting a reader that was previously paired to a different device, you may need to forget your reader from the device it was previously paired with. For more information on reconnecting a reader, check out our troubleshooting article.
Now that you’re set up, learn more about accepting chip card and contactless payments.