Access Codes are created by the event organizer to hide specific Events, Registration & Ticket types and seats (AST events) from general view. You can share access codes with attendees allowing them to unlock hidden Registrant/Ticket types.
For information on creating codes that calculate and applies a discount to registrations or tickets at checkout, take a look at How do I create Promo Codes for my events?
About Access Codes
ATTENDEE TYPE ACCESS CODES unlock hidden registration options like VIP Tickets or Staff Tickets you are making available for free or at reduced price points to registrants. Attendees apply an ACCESS CODE on your event registration/ticketing page.
EVENT ACCESS CODES can be configured to give individuals access prior to the publish date you set in your event's Visibility settings tab.
SEAT ACCESS CODES can be configured and applied to individual seats in your Assigned Seat Ticketing Event's Seat Editor.
Creating Access Codes
In Brushfire, you can create and assign Access Codes for events via the Access Code Edit Tab in your Organization Dashboard.
Access Your Dashboard - when signed in with your administrator username and password by clicking on the menu in the top left of your screen.
Navigate to Access Codes - On the left click Access Codes then click "ADD ACCESS CODE"
Choose the type of access code you'd like to create. Most of the time, Standard Access Codes will work. However, when you have more complex needs you can create Templates and Dynamic codes as well.
- Create Standard Access Code
Create an access code that your customers can use to access tickets, seats and events.
- Create Template Access Code
Create a template code that can be used to create access codes dynamically. These templates will not be available for customers to access tickets, seats and events.
- E.G. You need 50x One-Time use access codes. These templates will not be available for customers to use on purchases. This has to be done before creating Dynamic or Multiple Codes with the same configuration.
- Create Dynamic Access Code
Quickly create batches of unique codes based on a template you have created. You'll be able to specify a Prefix and the system will generate random or sequential access codes you can distribute. You also have the option to upload a list of Codes with Descriptions if you have an existing list of codes you would like to make available for use on your Brushfire Event(s).
Next, build your code using the Presets or the Use Custom Values option in the Access Code Builder.
Creating A Standard Access Code
- Code - Name of the Access Code
- Description - Always provide a description so you and other team members know what the code is for.
- Active Dates - Select a start and stop date for your code. This can mimic your event sale dates or you can specify a shorter duration.
- Usage Settings - Setting this to "This is a one time code" will only allow ONE attendee to use the access code. If you need multiple ONE time codes you can create a template.
- Relations - Select where the access code applies (Event, Attendee Type or Seat)
- Event - Applies to the entire event. Simply select the event you want the access code associated with.
- Attendee Type - Select your event then select the Attendee Type(s) you want the Access Code to apply to.
- Seat - Works on AST (Assigned Seating) events. View setup instructions below.
PRO TIP: Create your registration type first and disable it temporarily until you've added your Access Code. After creating the attendee type, move it to the top of your attendee type list making it the first type visible once unlocked.
NOTE - registrant or seat access codes, are hidden ONLY for the selected dates. When the code expires, the registration type or seat will become available to the public.
Testing The Access Code
After creating your Access Code, test it by viewing your registration page as a customer using the "View as Customer Link" at the top of your registration page.
The Access Code Box will not appear if there are no valid promotions configured for items in the cart.
Below you can see the view as your customers would see it.
Once the Access Code is applied you will see the registration type revealed.
Below you can see how it would appear to attendees after entering their access code.
Please Note: If your event uses both promo codes and access codes, be sure to specify where the code you provide needs to be entered. Access Codes are entered on the event registration page to Unlock hidden registration options and Promotion Codes are added at checkout to calculate the discount.
Seat Access Codes
To apply a seat access code that has been set up, you'll need to select the seats you wish to apply access codes to in your event's Seats Edit Tab.
- First Select the section where the seats are located.
- Highlight the seats you wish to apply a code.
- Click the "Gear Icon" to view seat edit options.
- Apply the Code!
Seats that have codes applied are indicated with a "lock" icon when viewed in the seat editor.
Seats protected with Access Codes will simply be grayed out when viewed by the public.
When someone has an access code for seats, they have to enter the Seat Access Code prior to choosing a section on the seating diagram.